President Obama hasn’t been able to get everything done he promised in his first 20 months in office.
That’s true, and the news is full of how Democrats are frustrated and discouraged and not “excited” about November’s Election.
BUT WHY IS THIS?
Because Republicans have said NO to everything he wanted to do!
They have filibustered EVERYTHING handed to them!
SO, do we just throw in the towel and give up?
DEMOCRATS, DO YOU WANT TO LOSE EVERYTHING WE’VE FOUGHT SO HARD TO WIN?
We can’t afford to lose what Democratic Congress HAS accomplished — LOOK AT THE LIST! We should be PROUD of our Democratic accomplishments and willing to fight for them:
- Passed Historic Health Care Reform requiring Insurance Companies to cover all children until age 26, prevented them from denying coverage for pre-existing conditions, prevented them from canceling insurance because you get sick, ended lifetime limits on coverage, and set up Insurance Exchanges to allow for more competition and increased coverage of 37M Americans by 2014
- Expanded Medicaid & SCHIP Health Coverage for millions of Children
- Held BP accountable for the Deep Water Horizon Oil Spill with a $20B damages fund
- Funded the “Cash for Clunkers” program that saved the car dealership industry
- Set up mortgage and foreclosure reform to help save millions from losing their homes
- Closed the Medicare “Donut-Hole” for millions of Senior Citizens
- Created the “Consumer Financial Protection Bureau” now being set up by Elizabeth Warren
- A “new” Green Energy Jobs program
- Consumer Credit Card “Bill of Rights”
- Doubling Green Energy Research Funding
- Ended ban on Federal Funds for Stem Cell Research
- Enacted the Matthew Shepard “Hate Crimes Prevention Act”
- Ended the ban on Global Warming Research
- Fully funded the VA and expanded medical and mental health coverage
- Fully funded the “Violence Against Women Act”
- Funded National Endowment for the Arts
- Hosted Israeli/Palestinian Peace Talks for 1st time in 20 years
- Hosted a Nuclear Disarmament Summit, promising to cut Nuclear Weapons by 1/3
- Increased Funding to AmeriCorp and our National Parks System
- Increased Funding for our National Parks System
- Increased Funding for Pell Grants
- Increased Unemployment Benefits for Millions of Americans suffering from the Economy
- Passed the Lilly Ledbetter Act, ensuring equal pay for equal work for all women
- Approved tax cuts for the Middle Class through the Stimulus passed to help save the Economy
- Passed the Economic Stimulus Package and created 2.5M jobs with Stimulus Package
- Raised the fuel economy standards for vehicles to 33.5 MPG
- Reformed Mandatory Minimum Sentencing Standards
- Historic Wall Street Reform legislation
- Passed tax credits for hybrids and electric vehicles
- Saved US from the “Next Great Depression” by preventing a total collapse of the Banking System
- Ended the Iraq War by removing 100,000 troops from Iraq and changing US Mission in Iraq
- Kept Social Security Benefits safe and not privatized
DO YOU THINK ANY OF THIS WOULD HAVE PASSED UNDER REPUBLICAN RULE?
DO YOU WANT THESE THINGS REPEALED?
We can’t afford to go back to the policies of Bush and the Republicans!
- $6 TRILLION National Debt!
- 8.5 Million jobs Lost!
- 2 totally unfunded, unnecessary wars [Iraq & Afghanistan]
- The financial “collapse” of 2008
- The “Great Recession of 2009/10”
- Increased Global Terrorism
- Decreased Worldwide Public opinion about the US
- Increase in Iranian regional power
- Katrina aftermath and regional neglect
- North Korea now having nuclear weapons
- Tax Cuts for Millionaires and Billionaires instead of Middle Class Americans
- Highest Poverty Rate in 50 years!
- Increasing Islamaphobia and push for WWIII
- Guantanemo Bay and Torture policies contrary to the Geneva Conventions
- Racial tensions and prejudice re: Immigration and immigrants
AND DEMOCRATS, WE HAVE SO MUCH LEFT TO DO!
Here’s some of the possibilities:
- End Corporate “personhood” and reverse “Citizens United” ruling
- Break up the biggest banks and end “Too Big to Fail”
- Bring all our Troops home from Iraq AND Afghanistan
- End Warrantless wiretaps
- Cut Global warming emissions
- Shift from dependence on oil to alternative energy systems
- Ensure a Progressive, Liberal Supreme Court
- Support continued home foreclosure relief
- Pass significant immigration reform and support current immigrants in a path to citizenship
- Close Guantanemo Bay and end US torture policies contrary to the Geneva Conventions
- Repeal “Don’t Ask/Don’t Tell” Policies
- Reduce Nuclear proliferation and ensure safe storage and protection of current nuclear stockpiles
- Approve Gay Marriage and full equal rights for all Americans
- Medicare Buy-In before 65 and/or Single Payer healthcare
Please — Consider the “alternative”….VOTE “D” ON NOVEMBER 2nd.
GET ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO VOTE “D” ON NOVEMBER 2.
IF DEMOCRATS VOTE, DEMOCRATS WIN and OUR COUNTRY WINS!
— Donna Ertel Riley
PCO, Sandy Point Precinct/Langley, Whidbey Island, WA